OhioGenealogyBlog

This is a weblog about genealogy in and about the State of Ohio. It will feature news and views (mostly mine) about developments of interest to genealogists doing research in Ohio, no matter where they reside.--Wally Huskonen

Monday, July 11, 2005

Try Personal Historian; You'll Like It

This morning, I downloaded and tried out the trial version of Personal Historian. In a half an hour, I had a running start on compiling my own history. I really believe that I will be able to put together a readable narrative of my child and teenage years, and the years as an adult with a new job and a family. The program has a number of timelines that you can build upon, such as "what I was doing when ...." It also has a number of memory starters, including inventions, radio programs, TV programs, world events, etc.

I envision using Personal Historian to construct narratives for my father and my mother, and also my wife, assuming she will cooperate. The program makes it easy to work on these narratives in small chunks, and you can download info from your genealogy programs to get started with all the key dates and events.

You have 30 days in which to try out Personal Historian for free, but you may want to purchase it before the the trial period runs out because it is available until July 31 for $19.95 instead of the regular prices of $29.95.

I learned about Personal Historial in this week's Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter, in the following announcement from Bruce Buzbee of RootsMagic, Inc.:

Some of you may have heard of a program called "Personal Historian" from Blue Scroll Software. It helps you write personal histories, memoirs and biographies about yourself, your family, or other people.

Well, we decided that we liked the program so much, that last Friday we acquired the rights to Personal Historian, and it is now an "official" RootsMagic product.

And we want to celebrate! Personal Historian is normally $29.95, but during the month of July, Personal Historian will be available in the RootsMagic store for just $19.95 (plus s/h). This offer is good through July 31, 2005.

For more information about Personal Historian, visit: http://www.rootsmagic.com/personalhist.htm